Making a Formal Complaint

If you don’t feel that your complaint can be quickly managed by speaking with the practice then you may of course submit a formal complaint. This page describes how you can make a formal complaint and what you can expect from the practice.

We ask that you submit your complaint as soon as possible after the event and ideally within a few days as this helps us to establish what happened more easily. In any event, this should be:

1. Within 12 months of the incident (or within 12 months of you discovering something that you wish to complain about).

2. As clear and concise as possible.

You may make a compliant in any of the following ways:

1. Using the practice complaints form that can be downloaded here.

2. In writing, please write to the practice (for the attention of the Complaints Manager, Upwell Health Centre, Townley close, Upwell, Cambs PE14 9BT).

3. Verbally. Please contact the practice and ask for the Complaints Manager (they will call you back if not currently available).

Complaining on behalf of someone else
We keep to the strict rules of medical and personal confidentiality. If you wish to make a complaint and are not the patient involved, we will require the written consent of the patient to confirm that they are unhappy with their treatment and that we can deal with somebody else on the patients behalf. Where the patient is incapable of providing consent due to illness, capacity or accident it may still be possible to deal with the complaint and we will discuss the specific detail at the time depending on the particular circumstances.

What we do next
We will acknowledge receipt of a complaint within three working days, and aim to have looked into the matter and responded in writing to you within 21 working days. Sometimes this process will take longer and we will advise you if we need more time.

You may be invited to meet with the person(s) concerned to attempt to resolve the issue or to clarify any details.

Where your complaint involves more than one organisation (e.g. social services or another practice) we will attempt to liaise with that organisation so that you receive one coordinated reply. We may need your consent to do this. Where your complaint has been sent initially to an incorrect organisation, we may seek your consent to forward this to the correct person to deal with.

When looking into a complaint we investigtae to see what happened and why, to see if there is something we can learn from this and allow us to ensure future issues are mionimised or eradicated.

Final Response Letter
The final response letter will include details of the result of your complaint and also your right to escalate the matter further if you remain dissatisfied with the response.

We are keen to try and resolve your concerns within the practice. However, if at the end of the local complaints procedure you are not satisfied with this response then you can the contact the ombudsman:

Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman
Mosley Street
M2 3HQ

Telephone: 0345 015 4033